Each year thousands of children in sub-Saharan Africa miss out on an education - 30 million children are not in school and of those that are, 48 million children do not learn basic literacy skills. This Christmas we are asking you to help give the Gift of Education to support those who are most in need.
Since 1992, Link has worked in over 3,000 schools and improved the education of over 3 million children in Ethiopia, Ghana, Malawi and Uganda.
We believe that education is the key to unlocking the doors to escape poverty. For example, a child who has a mother who can read is 50% more likely to live past the age of 5; investing in girls education has the potential to increase agricultural output by upto 25%; and teaching basic literacy skills could lift upto 171 million people out of poverty in sub-Saharan Africa.
Your support this Christmas will help ensure that our good work continues. No matter the size of your donation, it will make a huge difference to the lives of learners across sub-Saharan Africa.
- £5 could provide locally–made sanitary pads, underwear and soap for one girl for a full year. Puberty and the start of menstruation are one of the biggest reasons why girls miss school. This simple solution can make a huge difference to a girls’ education.
- £35 could send one teacher on a three day training course.
- £50 could provide weekly tutorial classes for 100 children for one month.
- £75 could train a teacher to be a literacy specialist.
- £100 could buy a set of books for primary children written in the local language.
- £300 could support a community to improve toilet facilities, making school safer and healthier, and encouraging girls and boys to stay in school.
- £400 could deliver our innovative School Performance Review in a rural African school, giving communities, the school and government the knowledge and tools they need to improve the quality of education.
Please support our work by donating to our Christmas appeal. We are hoping to raise £5,000 to ensure that more children are able to obtain the quality education they deserve. Without your support the cycle of poverty will only continue - Give the Gift of Education this Christmas and give children a chance.