Link Community Development (Link) is a family of organisations working to transform education for children and communities across impoverished rural areas of Ethiopia, Ghana, Malawi, Rwanda and Uganda through innovative, low-cost and replicable models.
The Need for Our Work
- Governments and schools rarely have access to accurate data to enable effective use of limited resources. We help build their capacity to improve data management and application.
- Reading skills can break the cycle of poverty. Children whose mothers can read are 50% more likely to live past age five. Link develops programmes for communities in need across sub-Saharan Africa.
- Weak school governance reduces community school ownership. Our School Performance Review gives citizens a voice, fostering a culture of transparency, trust and mutual accountability between communities and schools, enabling greater collective responsibility.
- Teachers are key to learning but recieve little professional development or support. We provide high quality teacher training and mentoring.
- Unsupportive cultural and societal norms exclude vulnerable children. We help education leadership develop and sustain inclusive practices.
- Rural African Schools can be over-crowded, unsafe and unconducive to learning. We help schools become child-friendly through safe infrastructure, sanitation facilities and child protection policies.
Please see our Causal Tree Analysis below. You can see a more detailed version by clicking here.
You can view our Theory of Change below. You can view a more detailed version by clicking here.
Go to scale
Our holistic approach is sustainable, replicable and promotes high levels of ownership by citizens and governments. Our innovations aim to influence policy and best practice.
We collaborate to leverage skills and resources to enhance the effectiveness of our work. Partners include bilateral and multilateral donors, trusts and foundations, governments, the private sector, non-governmental and civil society organisations, universities and research bodies, as well as communities.
Attract core funding
Experience shows that impact is more effectively delivered through core funding. We keep costs low and impact high. Short-term project funding can have high transaction costs and risks undermining strategic impact. We seek partners who share our vision of improving learning for all.
Continue to evidence our model
Demonstrate affordable, scalable and sustainable solutions to persistent problems. Link has a double effect on Value for Money: low unit costs that deliver results plus improved accountability, effieciency and outcomes, which ultimately saves governments money.
Strong leadership and governance
Our Board of Trustees supports and guides our work, ensuring accountability and responsiveness to our beneficiaries, partners, donors and staff.