The most up-to-date policy will always be published on our website (here), and our newsletter recipients will be informed of any material changes. If you ever have any questions or concerns about how we process your data, you can contact us by calling 0131 225 3076 or emailing email@example.com.
What data do we collect and why?
We collect and store information you provide, like your name and contact details, when you sign up to receive emails from us, as well as some financial information when you choose to make a donation to our work. We also collect anonymous information about your use of our website, such as which pages you visit or where you found us, through your IP address.
Sometimes we collect donations through other websites or platforms. These including Virgin Money Giving, CAF Online and Charities Trust. We will only store personal information in relation to these donations which the user has consented to that service sharing with us.
More about the information we collect through our website:
We use traffic log cookies to help us improve our website by better accommodating our users’ needs and preferences, and to help us analyse how successful we are at presenting clear, accessible, and transparent information about our work. These cookies identify how individuals use our website, how users find their way to our website and which pages they look at or interact with.
A cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or any personal information about you.
More about the information we collect when you sign up to the mailing list:
When you sign up to our mailing list, we store your name and email address in our secure database and use it so that we can keep you up to date with our work. You will tick a box saying that you consent to us storing your information for this purpose. If you choose to submit your postal address, we will also store this information.
More about the information we collect when you donate:
When you make a donation to Link through our website, we will collect your name, any contact details that you choose to provide us with, and the donation amount. If you choose to Gift Aid your donation, we will need to collect your postal address. You can choose to submit your email address and request to join our mailing list at the same time, if you wish.
We will never store or save your credit card or bank details. Our donations are processed by our partner, Blackbaud Merchant Services, who will process the necessary financial information to send your donation to Link.
What do we do with your data?
We only process your data as you have instructed and with your consent – in order to send you newsletters and emails, or to process a donation and Gift Aid if applicable, and do our best to store and protect it responsibly (see How do we look after your data below). We will only use your personal data to send you newsletters and emails about our appeals and campaigns if we have your consent.
We use anonymous website data for internal analysis of how our website is performing.
Fundraising is essential for us to deliver our life-changing programmes. In order to make our fundraising as efficient as possible, we will sometimes tailor our messages to you so they are as relevant as possible. We only do this using information you have given us, such as previous donation records, or your address to invite you to local events. To opt out of this process, please contact us.
We take great care over the security of your data, and take steps to keep it up to date and ensure it is only held for as long as we need it.
The data that we collect is stored securely within the UK. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect. This includes ensuring only those who require have access to the data, reviewing the data we hold periodically, and encrypting all personal and sensitive data.
We review the data we store periodically to ensure it is as accurate as possible, and not retained past reasonable expectation. We retain data as follows:
- We will retain your name and contact information for as long as you continue to wish to receive our newsletter or updates. If you have not opened our mailings at all for a period of 2 years or more, we will erase all records. We will also erase all records of this nature on request, so long as it does not conflict with the below:
- We will retain financial/donations records for a period of 6 years, as per our legal obligations to HMRC, and responsibility to adhere to our transparency and know your donor processes. This includes your name, postal address, and donation amount. After this time, we will erase records.
- If you have applied for a role with us, either paid or voluntary, we will retain your application information and/or CV for 6 months after the position has been filled in case we need to contact you again about the position. Equal Opportunities information will be anonymised and retained for 6 years in order for us to assess our recruitment processes.
Our website may contain links to other websites of interest. However, once you have left our site, you should note that we do not have any control over the other website and cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
Know your Rights
You have a number of rights with regards to how we control and process your personal data, and we have a responsibility to keep you informed. Read on to find out more about your rights:
- Right to be informed of what data we collect and why, and what we do with it. This privacy notice should contain all the information you need, but you can contact us at any time if you have any queries.
- Right of access to any and all data we hold about you, on request and free of charge. Just let us know (verbally or in writing), and we will provide you with this information within one month.
- Right to rectification whereby we will correct any personal data we hold about you if you suspect or know it to be inaccurate. Just get in touch if you think we have something wrong.
- Right to erasure: this means you have a right to request that we delete personal information we hold about you (sometimes known as the right to be forgotten). We will comply with all such requests to delete records as far as possible, but there may be some circumstances where we have a legal obligation to retain records for a fixed period. If we have claimed Gift Aid on your behalf against a donation, we must retain your name and address for 6 years as a legal obligation to HMRC.
- Right to restrict processing, meaning that you get a say in how we use any data we store about you, and can object to certain specific uses. For example, you may be happy for us to store your address in order for us to claim Gift Aid, but ask that we never write to you.
- Right to object to the processing of your personal information, and an absolute right to stop your information being used for any form of direct marketing. Contact Link at any time, verbally or in writing, to lodge an objection and we will respond within a month.
- Rights related to automated decision making where you can object to decisions being taken concerning your data without direct human involvement. Fundraising is essential for us to deliver our life-changing programmes. In order to make our fundraising as efficient as possible, we will sometimes tailor our messages to you so they are as relevant as possible. We only do this using information you have given us, and such decisions are always taken by our staff team. To opt out of this process, please contact us.
Contact Link: email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0131 225 3076
If you are ever unhappy with how we have processed your data, or believe us to have acted unlawfully, you should write to us in the first instance detailing your concerns. We will respond within 28 calendar days. If you are unsatisfied with our response, you can make a complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office. Full details on how best to do this are on their website here: https://ico.org.uk/concerns or you can call 0303 123 1113.
Sharing or transferring your data
We will never sell, lease or distribute your personal information to third parties unless we have your permission or are required by law to do so. We will never share our mailing lists with any other charities or organisations.
If you choose to Gift Aid your donation we must share your name, address, and donation amount and date with HMRC in order to claim the funding. This will also be clarified when you ‘tick the box’ or otherwise opt to gift aid your donation.